The course is designed following the principles of project-based learning. Each student in the
classroom will take a vital role in the development, writing, researching, reporting, and
publishing of a monthly newspaper/newsletter. Students will also gain first-hand experience in
taking print content and reformatting it for web consumption.
- Gain an overview of news journalism’s public service role in a democratic society
- Become familiar with fundamental principles of journalism, such as truth-telling, watchdog reporting, accuracy, courage, tolerance, justice, minimizing har
- Learn basics of journalism law, history, and ethic
- Gain a roadmap for succeeding in the journalism program and the profession
- Gain emerging skills and experience in reporting and writing, regardless of platform, with attention to accuracy, fairness, and completeness
- Learn established professional and school standards related to news-gathering, reporting, writing and publishing work
- Build critical thinking skills necessary to collect, evaluate, organize, and disseminate news
- Build reporting and writing skills necessary for online, print or broadcast journalism
- Write breaking news, event coverage and short interviews with newsmakers, from events such as accidents, crimes, fires, disasters, speeches, press conferences, meetings
- Identify what is newsworthy from set of facts and organize a news story from those facts
- Recognize basic news ledes: direct and indirect, as well as active voice vs. passive voice
- Ultimately, the “purpose of journalism is thus to provide citizens with the information they need to make the best possible decisions about their lives, their communities, their societies, and
About: Hello my name is Jaelinne i am currently a Junior at JCECHS. I am a very social and athletic person. I also like unicorns.
About: Comic books, laptop, Xbox, and trading card games this is all he needs in a normal day. Being a senior means he is exhausted of school activities that take up his class time or off periods.
About: Garcia is a lover of words, writing and reading them. She's junior class vice-president, a member of National Honor Society, and a member of the Book Club. She's a firm believer in justice for everyone and has a strong love for dogs.
About: My name is Isidro Garcia and im currently attending Jimmy Carter Early College High School. I was born on Feburary 7, 2001. My hobbies are to playing all outdoors sports and participate in public events. I like to take pictures of grate views of nature. Im mostly see National Geographic and learn new things about the world.
About: I am Briana Martinez and I am a freshman at JCECHS. On my free time I enjoy playing volleyball, and I enjoy reading. I love interacting with others. I am a writer for the Red Gold News paper.
About: My name is Abraham Perez. I'm a freshman, and some of my hobbies are playing drums, playing basketball, listening to music, skateboarding, drawing, being with my beautiful one of a kind girlfriend, playing with my dogs, and being outside. I am writer for the Red Gold News paper.
About: Jimmy Carter student, class of 2020. Don't like to talk with many people.
About: Hello, my name is Alexandro Sanchez.I was born on April 28, 2002. I am a sophomore at jcechs.My favorite color is blue. My hobbies are playing the tuba, being with my girlfriend, and playing my Xbox.
Job Title: Newspaper Advisor
About: •Dual Enrollment Teacher, Jimmy Carter Early College H.S. •Adjunct Instructor UTRGV •Journalism Advisor for Red Gold at Jimmy Carter Early College H.S.
About: My name is David Vazquez, I am fourteen years old and I am a freshman at Jimmy Carter Early College High School. I am a funny person, fun to be with, and I think I would be a very good friend. I am grateful to have family and friends that support me.
About: Junior at JCECHS, add me in snap its_vanessa3 <3 Was brought to this world in November 4th, 2000, Team Scorpio. I like myself and donuts.
About: I'm a freshman at Jimmy Carter I love makeup and spending time with my friends.