Bored of the same Christmas treats and want something full of popping flavors. These cake pops are fun and easy to make, you will enjoy making them and eating them on Christmas day with the whole family.
- 1 package 2-layer-size cake mix.
- 1 – 1 cup frosting.
- 12 ounces red, green, or vanilla- or chocolate-flavored candy coating, chopped.
- 12 ounces semisweet, dark, or white baking chocolate, chopped.
- 34 – 36 lollipop sticks.
- Prepare desired-flavor cake mix according to package directions. Use any suggested pan size and bake according to package directions. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Line trays or baking sheets with waxed paper.
- Remove cooled cake from pan and crumble into a very large mixing bowl. Add desired-flavor frosting. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Using a small scoop, drop mixture into 1 1/2-inch mound onto prepared trays; roll mounds into balls and freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a small microwave-safe dish heat 1 ounce of the coating (about 1/4 cup) on medium for 60 seconds until melted and smooth, stirring once. Dip one end of each lollipop stick into melted chocolate and poke sticks into balls (this helps the balls stay on the sticks). Freeze for 30 to 60 minutes more or until balls are firm.
- Place remaining candy coating and chopped chocolate in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until melted and smooth, stirring frequently. Working in batches, dip balls into melted chocolate mixture. Allow excess to drip off; place balls on clean waxed paper-lined trays. After the coating is set, transfer to storage containers and store, covered, in the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving.